Frequently Asked Questions

May I use the school’s application form?
Only the Nina Haven Scholarships, Inc. application form may be used. It’s available through your school’s guidance office and here.
May I estimate my parent’s income?
Your parents must complete the section of the form entitled “Statement by Parents” which pertains to their financial situation. It must be accurate information. If you are legally emancipated, then you need to explain that in your essay.
What if I have a guardian?
The guardian needs to complete the “Statement by Parents” section and note he or she is the guardian. Your special circumstances need to be addressed in your essay.
Do my parents have to attach their income tax return?
No. However, the required financial information must be taken from their tax returns. This information is vital to your qualifying and potentially being accepted as a Nina Haven Scholar. If information is found to be inaccurate, you will be disqualified.
What if my parents cannot fill out this section?
Explain on the form why they can’t and/or have a responsible adult to do it for them. Your parents will need to sign their names attesting to the accuracy of the information.
How is need determined?
Need is determined by the pool of applicants from each school and on a case-by-case basis.
Can I send the application to you by fax or mail or email?
Applications cannot be accepted online or directly from students. They must be given to your high school guidance office.
What do I have to do after I am selected?
You will be given a letter asking you to supply vital college enrollment information to NHS. If you fail to respond, your scholarship is withdrawn. ALL information must be given.
Who gets my scholarship money?
Scholarship monies are disbursed directly to your account at the college/university where you are enrolled.  
How long does it take for me to get the money?
Most schools make the money available very quickly. Some take about a month. You should plan on having enough money to get by for one month.
What do I have to do to maintain the scholarship?
All students must make a 2.0 grade point average or better and take a minimum of twelve hours per semester.  An official college transcript of grades must be provided to NHS.
What if I have an academic or other problem that interferes with my grades?
Contact NHS. Our goal is for you to be able to remain in school and complete your education. We will work with you to overcome barriers that impede your progress.